Wednesday 7 November 2012

In Which I Congratulate President Obama Without Gritted Teeth

A historic vote yesterday. With a record turnout, and a barrage of polls being unable to separate the two sides beforehand, the people finally decided. With a majority larger than predicted, the states of Colorado and Washington voted to legalise the sale of marijuana. That's right, completely legal, none of this having to pretend you've got sciatica or gout for the people of CL and WN to get a Turkish cigarette or two. Also President Obama got elected for a second term. This is despite American peep show style voting booths doing their damndest to change votes for a black guy into votes for a white guy.

Some of the voters were queuing for hours and hours, and some of them in pretty nippy conditions. It can get a wee bit nippy Chicago way in November time. We can learn several things from all of this- firstly, the American who wants to vote is determined to do so, regardless of weather and how much time it may take. I am not sure if I could say the same about the British voter. That is neither here nor there, however, as that sort of scenario wouldn't happen to a British voter. It would be highly unusual over here for voters to be queing for ages, and even more unusual if they were doing it in sleet, as we tend to have our general elections at a more sensible time of year. But the Americans HAVE to have theirs in November, and the reason is this: __________________________. 

Find me a country that wanted Romney to win over Obama and I will be quite surprised. I know that the political figures of the world would compliment whoever won and say they were the best candidate, but one gets the feeling that if Romney had won, they'd have had to congratulate him through gritted teeth. I myself didn't have a chuckle at the Republicans crying (literally) at the result, because I am not human. By the way, that's a bit of a lie, I laughed long and hard, due to having a beating heart. I've never cared for the Republicans. Any political party who has put forward a candidate for Senator that says things like "I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," is more than a little suspect. So I always knew that President Obama would win, and anyone who says that I binned a cake with "Fuck you President Romney" iced onto it is a damned liar.

Today's Tune

No comments:

Post a Comment