Thursday 15 November 2012

In Which I- Shit!!! Did you see that?!? He must have a foot like a traction engine!

Yesterday, I lied. Well, that's a lie. I wrote something I believed to be the case, but it has turned out to be untrue- namely, that I was today to write about co-inkydinks and submarines. However, I have to react to what I saw yesterday. England lost four goals to two against Sweden. Never mind that England lost, never mind that the 50,000 crowd were about as noisy as the cast of The Only Way is Essex explaining Cartesian Dualism whilst in a vacuum. The important thing is that Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a goal of such skill as to instantly be hailed as one of the best goals ever. It was tenacious, it was sublime, it was perfect technique, it was super sexy is what I'm trying to say. Joe Hart tried to clear the ball with his head as he was outside the 18 yard box and he could only head it vertically. Ibrahimovic, who had already scored a hat-trick in this, the national stadium's opening game thought “D'you know what? I know I'm 30 yards out and facing away from goal, but I'm going to score from here with one touch of the ball because I want to be remembered as scoring one of the best goals of all time.” And it was. 





I have been watching football since I can remember, and I have seen many a great goal from before then. Zlatan scoring like this was the first time I'd seen anything like this- for one thing, his foot's 8 feet off the ground when he kicks it. I love how I can still see things that are new in the most popular sport of all time. When the ball went in, I made some sort of noise that I think I will not be able to replicate. I then stood up and started to applaud at the television screen. This isn't a particularly good article, but I had to just say how excellent that goal was. I suspect it's the best goal I've ever seen live. I don't think I may ever see a better one, but I live in hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment