Saturday 10 November 2012

In Which I Question the Methods of a Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Rights Charity

I saw a double decker yesterday with an advertisement on emblazoned on, saying "Some people are gay. Get over it." When I say double decker I mean the bus, not the chocolate bar. I think inviting bigots to stop being arses is a little too socio-political for the advertising bods of Cadbury. But whilst I agree with the sentiment of this (people are dicks), I disagree with putting it on a bus. Think about it, it's a bit inflammatory isn't it? Let's say that someone is angry/upset about something, like a death in the family or Hugh Dallas giving every single decision against your team unfairly. I don't think the best way to console them is to go up to them and tell them to "get over it". This would surely only make them more angry/upset. I actually remember when D (nickname "The Bitch") split up with D, and he was heartbroken. She had cheated on him with M, which was doubly soul-destroying as he was an ugg with no neck. Anyway, once when he was looking sad, sitting on the concourse, she went up to him and aggressively said "For fuck's sake D, get over it!" The rest of us took a vote and the motion that she was an utter cunt was unanimously carried. So yes. Don't tell people to get over things. It's not productive.



Some ads are counter-productive. Get over it.

And who are these adverts trying to convince? I know there are gay people, but I can't get over it as there is nothing for me to get over. This campaign isn't really useful for those that don't have a problem with homosexuality. And what of the bigots? I know they don't tend to be the most intelligent of people, but I doubt this will affect their opinions. "What's that? People are gay? And I should go from disapproval to acceptance because I saw an ad on a bus? Okay then..." I mean, really. This is worse than not being productive, it's inflammatory, needling for needlings sake. A bit like football fans when they sing one of their many chants like "Look at us, we're in the lead and you are not and you smell of wee-wee." Actually, whilst researching for this blog, I found that this had actually encouraged some people who aren't particularly keen on those who are attracted to the same, erm, genital hoop, to set up a counter campaign. Their adverts were due to say: "Not gay! Post-gay, ex-gay and proud. Get over it!" Fortunately, Boris Jonson poured water on this flame war before it could ignite and prevented these from ever seeing the light of day. He justified this arguable breach of freedom of expression by pointing out that people who think that you can "undo" being gay, and that being gay is a problem to be solved, are fuckheads.


Still, I suppose I'm not the right person to tell Stonewall, the company responsible for Some People Are Gay campaign, how to spend their funds. Actually, they're superb at spending their cash. I don't mean they spend it on good things, rather that they're very good at funspunking money away at a rapid rate. Here's a quote from their website:

"After the launch, 600 billboard panels, kindly donated by Titan Outdoor Advertising Ltd, depicted this legend in giant, tabloid-style capital letters, on a bright red background at sights in England, Scotland and Wales. In September 2009 the simple, striking poster campaign appeared on 20 major railway stations advertising screens and on 3,500 interior bus panels in November 2009 for Anti-Bullying week."

And seeing as it's 2012 and they're STILL about, it means there are one or two stubborn bastards in the organisation who refuse to see sense (and are STILL funspunking money). Like I say, I suppose I'm not the right person to tell Stonewall how to spend their money, but if I were, I would say this... Wouldn't it be a bit more productive to spend the money on something like a banner saying "Gay? Getting picked on by bigots? Here's a dedicated advice line."

Today's Tune

No comments:

Post a Comment